VA Benefits Attorney
Joe Whitcomb, a former United States Army Ranger, has dedicated his life and legal career to helping those in need. Backed by years of experience working with the Social Security Administration, Joe Whitcomb fights for disability claimants and as a VA benefits attorney for Veterans with service-related injuries, who seek to obtain their rightful benefits.
Joe Whitcomb began his legal career as an attorney-advisor for the Social Security Administration for nearly three years, where he assisted the Administrative Law Judges in preparing and developing disability claimants’ cases for their hearings. Joe Whitcomb continually exceeded the standards for writing a voluminous number of decisions on behalf of the judges, and he eventually began mentoring new attorney-advisors for the Social Security Administration.
Upon leaving the Social Security Administration in 2011, Joe Whitcomb began representing disability claimants before the SSA, using the vast extent of his legal knowledge to benefit his disability clients.
During law school Joe Whitcomb was a legal intern at the Rocky Mountain Survivors’ Center and Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Network. He was also a legal advocate at the Denver Safe House and has volunteered much of his time to mentoring at-risk teenage youths in various educational and recreational activities.
Joe’s Military Experience
Joe Whitcomb enlisted as an Infantryman for the United States Army Rangers in 1988. In December 1989, his unit, the 1st/75thRanger Battalion, was part of the “Spearhead” element in Operation Just Cause. Afterward, he performed intelligence support during Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Joe later served his country as a Non-Commissioned Officer in the United States Air Force for three years. He was medically separated from the Air Force in 2005, because of hearing loss.
- B.S. in Social Sciences from the University of Maryland University College 2002
- Master’s in International Relations from Troy University 2005
- JD from the University of Denver, Sturm College of Law 2007
- LLM in International Business Transactions-University of Denver 2016
- Colorado Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado,
- 10th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Court of Appeals for Veterans’ Claims (CAVC),
- Court of Federal Claims
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Social Security Administration
- Veterans Administration Board of Veterans Appeals (BVA)